Friday, March 19, 2010

Random Concern - Face vs Promise

I really do want to be more concerned with the person and character of God, not just the promises.

I have realized something very refreshing about God. Which I'm sure isn't a new revelation to a lot of people. But to me it's like a an ice cold glass of milk on hot day (Substitute your favorite beverage for milk). It's always cold, wet, satisfying and refreshing. That is that when I chase after God, His promises come to pass. But the opposite is also true. I get frustrated when I sit around waiting for a promise to manifest and it doesn't happen.

I guess it's part of the whole backwards kingdom logic: last to be first; weak to be strong; humble to be lifted foolish to be wise; die to live. And the opposite is true also. The more I seek the latter the more I feel like the former. What an anti culture dilemma. There's a "squirrel" causing another Random Thought on Promises. I'll leave that alone for now simply knowing that God is faithful to His Promises because He is the "Promise Keeper". All that said because it is so easy to get consumed in chasing the promises instead of the Promise Maker.

Being concerned with the person and nature of God takes on a completely different attitude. It's the true essence of the marriage vows: "in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy," At the time we don't ask the question "how sick, how poor, how bad or how sad?" Though some may act that way in divorce court (another squirrel).

All we know and all we are concerned with and even consumed with is being with the person we are about to call our spouse. Happily Ever After! amen.

This is where I want to be all the time with my God. I want to be concerned about His person. To know him deeper to know Him at a different level. The beauty of it is that when I study and His character, I experience His Person.

Scriptures than like
2 Chronicles 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

This shows us His character IS merciful, forgiving, healing and loving. And we can experience His person if we would pray and seek His Face. The mistake that we have made is that we have created a formula and we miss the point. This isn't just a promise it's an invitation.

We should accept the invitation to sincerely and seriously seek God's face without any reward. Our concern should be to experience His Person. That process humbles us. His Presence reveals and forces us to turn from wickedness and respond "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined!" (Isaiah 6:5). If we would learn to be satisfied with that we would then learn His Character. We would see a glimpse of how amazing He Is. The manifestation of His promise simply proves His Character.

The new testament gives us a similar invitation in Matthew 6:25-34 to be more concerned about His Kingdom and Righteousness through that He will reveal His Character and Person.
not worry about the .

Here's one more scripture that speaks for itself
Psalm 9:10
Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

The consequence for being concerned about God's Character and Person is promises manifested but that should not be the motivation.

I want my prayer to continue to be that of the psalmist:
My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. (Psalm 27:8)

I do believe we can have the latter when we submit to the former!!

.

1 comment:

Pastor Joy said...

It's such a refreshing thing to be able to point people to a place with God that is undescribable by most. Not saying that it is an easy task to put the proper words to expalin, but the process of doing such is amazing!

When you are able to spew out an entire list of character and person traits of God, not just becuase you read them, but becuase you're living and experiencing them, and the someone you are sharing with...you can see it in their eyes that they get you, they're hanging on your every word and deciding in their mind that they want to be like you as you follow Christ (Key piece in that statement!), it's just breathtaking!

And it's in that moment that you realize...this is what I was created for....and I'm loving it!